Writer: Neil Egerton
Date:Monday July 9 2012
Attacking left back Joe Widdowson is the latest addition to the Northampton Town squad. Joe was released by West Ham without making a competitive appearance for The Irons. After a couple of loan spells with Rotherham and Grimsby he eventually signed for the latter on a three year deal. Joe went on to feature in around 40 games for the Mariners before being snapped up by Rochdale for an undisclosed fee. Widdowson was a virtual ever present for Rochdale over the last two seasons so it came as some surprise when they declined to offer him a new contract.
Aidy Boothroyd moved quickly to snap up the flying left back and clearly left a great impression on Joe after their first meeting with quotes attributed to him claiming that Boothroyd made him feel wanted despite firm interest from Scunthorpe United.
What can Cobblers fans expect from Widdowson the footballer? Rochdale fans have described him as the Ashley Cole of the lower leagues, which is perhaps a little bit of a giddy description but lets pull no punches here, Cobblers have signed themselves an excellent left back who is experienced at this level.
If you cast your mind back to this time last season when Gary Johnson was in charge the left back situation was an absolute shambles and something that was never addressed correctly by Johnson, also something which played a large part in his eventual relinquishment of the Sixfields hot seat.
One other bit of player movement is Byron Webster leaving the club to link up with Gary Johnson at Yeovil. I wish him all the best in the future but on a personal note as a fan I did have my doubts about Webster, he seemed capable of playing well for 95% of a game but the other 5% would lead to howlers of epic proportions. Also for a 6ft plus defender he was not forceful enough and didn't attack the ball with enough conviction. Another signing that didn't work out but another player with a top attitude, good luck Byron.
Date:Monday July 9 2012
Carlisle Decides To Retire (Friday May 24 2013)
Seven Could Stay But Seven Go (Tuesday May 21 2013)
Striker Suggests Cobblers Career Is Over (Tuesday May 21 2013)
Another Two-Years For Club Captain (Tuesday May 21 2013)
No Rash Moves (Monday May 20 2013)
Disappointing End To A Terrific Season (Monday May 20 2013)
Stats: Bradford v Northampton (Saturday May 18 2013)
Promotion Dream Ended (Saturday May 18 2013)
Fully Fit! (Wednesday May 15 2013)
Expecting Interest (Saturday May 11 2013)
|3. Port Vale||46||21||15||10||35||78|
|RUFC - Evans In Talks With More Players
» Rotherham : 25/05/2013 09:03:00
|Former City defender leads England
» York : 24/05/2013 23:25:00
|RUFC - Ticket Office To Open Saturdays
» Rotherham : 24/05/2013 18:40:00
|RUFC - Evans Delighted To Fetch In Collin
» Rotherham : 24/05/2013 14:27:00
|Midfielder chase still on
» York : 24/05/2013 12:01:00
|Clay shooting for glory
» York : 24/05/2013 11:34:00
|Striker on way to York
» York : 24/05/2013 11:20:00